mercredi 26 janvier 2011

the premise

Been reading the book HTWADGN and I'm stuck at the premise.  I've not been thinking a lot about it, that is, but it doesn't come easily for some reason.  It says that the premise is the reason you are writing what you are writing.  The premise of a story is simply a statement of what happens to the characters as a result of the core conflict in the story.  As an example, Scrooge is confronted with his misdeeds by the pririts of Christmas, and who is transformed into a kind of Santa Claus.  The premise is  "forced self-examination leads to generosity".

I"m not very good at it.  I'm trying to find the premise for other stories, with no luck.  Take Harry Potter, for instance. A lonely boy ends up with more friends that he ever imagined.  A very ordinary boy  turned out to be a hero.  In Twilight, is forbidden love can work.  Love conquers all.  Am I on the right track?

I need to find my premise in order to continu.  I know what the story will look like, but I need the structure to make it  a better story.  I'm following the book.

n.b.:  the book is how to write a dawn good novel.

1 commentaire:

  1. YOU don't need a book to tell you how to write a book.. (well if it gives more confidence in yourself then I'm all for it). BUT give yourself the credit you deserve...A LOT!!!!!

    RépondreSupprimer